Basic Indian food cooking tips and tricks

Hi everyone today I'm going to share some basic cooking tips and tricks. Some of you may be cooking experts but I'm not. I just learned cooking after I got married and I am still learning and exploring cooking. At first, I did make a lot of mistakes, so I thought why not share my lessons with the newbies like me. So this post is for those persons who are new to cooking. If you are an expert you can please leave a comment about the tips and tricks you know. This might help others.

Basic cooking tips tricks Indian south
Traditional lunch
  • Salt:
There is a saying in Tamil that goes like this "Upuu illa pandam kupailae" that means a food without salt is not a food at all. Salt may be a simple thing but addition of this makes the food taste better. But you have to be careful not to use it too much. it is a tricky part. If you have learned to balance this than you have learned half the lesson in cooking.
    • Adding a pinch of salt to sweet/dessert will enhance the taste of the desert.
    • Adding salt to onions while saute it will reduce the cooking time of onions.
    • While marinating your chicken/mutton/fish don't forget to add salt. It will penetrate while marinating and will give you the perfect taste.
    • Is your curry too salty? don't worry add a potato to it. it will absorb salt or if the recipe allows adding tamarind, it also will reduce the salty taste.
  • Non-Veg Basic: 
I am a non-veg lover and I love eating non-veg all day long. But without my mom, I struggled a lot to make tasty non-veg dishes but now I'm getting better. Here are few tips for that.
    • For making fish/chicken fry add curd, salt and rava along with your masala which you use and keep it in a refrigerator for 5-10 mins. This will make your non-veg soft and juicy(curd) with crispy ouside texture(Rava)
    • For frying non-veg, add some mustard, curry leaf and jeera in oil before frying. This will give you a great smell while cooking.
    • For getting a thick gravy add cashew nut paste or coconut milk or you can deep fry coconut with curry leaves and grind that and add it in your curry.
    • For all non-veg dishes (except fish) add ginger garlic paste to give a divine taste and this will help to remove the raw smell also.
  • Boiling eggs:
You may be thinking what is soo hard in boiling an egg? but it is kind of difficult to do it when you boil it for the first time.
    •  While boiling eggs add some salt to it. This will help the eggs to boil without cracking the shells. 
    • Always add eggs to the boiling water. Egg hardens when subjected to sudden heat or cold. Also if you are in a hurry and can't boil the egg for 10 mins then take the egg in between and run it through cold water. this will harden the egg. 
    • To test whether it is fully boiled or not apply Newton's law(At some point in life you have to apply what you have learned right. lol.) to do that take an egg place it on a smooth surface and rotate it. Now stop it suddenly and remove your hand at once. If it still rotates then it's not boiled. If it stops rotating then it's boiled.
    • For removing shell first crack the egg on one side and allow to pass cold water into it this will form a gap between the shell and the egg, now you can remove it easily.
  • Chapathi dough: 
    • To get a soft chapathi dough add ghee and salt to the wheat flour and mix it before adding water.
    • Add little by little hot water at a time and mix it with a spoon( will share a video about this later) by doing like this you can avoid hardening the dough and making a hard chapthi. 
  • Dosai/Idly maavu(batter): 
As a South Indian, I love crispy dosai a lot. At first, when I made dosa batter at home it didn't come well. Then my sister in law suggested adding cooked rice to it and then Bingo.... now I never buy dosai maavu from a shop. With this batter you can make different items I will share all those recipes in the future post.
    • To get fluffy and crispy idlies and dosai add some cooked rice while grinding your ulunthu(Urdu daal).
    • Add Some thinly chopped onions, roasted Rava(Sooji), grounded pepper and some wheat flour(like 2 tsp) to make onion rava dosai.
These are all the few basic cooking tips.... Please try this and give feedback. This will help me grow. Thanks in advance. See you later with an amazing post... Bye....

Comments

  1. Nice tips!! Before this, I got amazing Indian food ideas from an Indian Restaurant of Australia. The Grand Pavilion. Your tips are also beneficial for me. I will add in my record.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to kill time

How to have a healthy argument - Housewives advice

Quick and easy Spanish omelet recipe with Indian touch